Friday, February 10, 2012

Best Laid Plans and all that

Ms. Packrat should remember that bit, even if mice are just cousins. Last weekend was an unmitigated disaster. Nothing in particular, just a lot of things not working out as planned. Almost no errands got run, little or nothing got done on Chez Packrat or shopping/preparing and the workweek has been really rather icky, with the 8 o'clock shift for 3 nights. However - the AAA TipPack is purchased, Ms. Packrat talked to some people from MegaBank and had them note in her account that she will be using her ATM card in Italy; she purchased travel insurance; paid a bunch of bills and made out her packing spreadsheet. She has many many more chores to do this weekend to be ready, but it looks doable from here and, frankly, if something doesn't get done (except for safeguarding the house and the four-footers) well, I'll pay the library fine or cope with it later.
And all of this as really cold weather descends here and the weather reports that it could possibly *snow* the day of Ms. Packratty's arrival in the Eternal City.
Excited and nervous, but reminded that I do have a first cousin right "up the road" in Florence. Going someplace where I don't know anyone at all and doing it solo? A little more nervous-making than when I was a youngster, but I am going to trust that this will all work out and I will have the adventure I am hoping for.
I need an adventure - I've been grinding along in a rut for too long and I need to be shaken up with some possibilities. I want to do more and see more before I die - and at 57, that's no longer something too distant to glimpse - it's something that's definitely at least a smudge on the horizon. I don't want to spend the rest of my life living a small little life and hiding in my house and being safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment